Can a landlord make a tenant pay for extension regularisation costs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can a landlord make a tenant pay for extension regularisation costs?

My landlord has a commercial property with 3 floors. Ground floor is leased to us. The 1st floor has an extension which doesnt have building regulations. This extension has been in place for 10 years. We want regularisation of the extension. However stupidly my partner took lease out without survey and we have 50% responsibility for repair costs etc. Is it correct to assume that we will have to pay 50% of costs for any works relating to regularisation? Including possible costs relating to knocking it down?

thank you.

I don't think ll would have a leg to stand on if it came to court. Just don't pay.

Comment

Thank you for responding. That was my initial common sense thought but someone with legal background suggested that since its a full repair lease and when combined with the fact that we didnt do survey etc (therefore buyer beware) it makes us part liable for any possible costs as the unregulated works have an impact on the building ie structure etc. Since it would be like any other repair that we may be asked to contribute to.

Comment

I think this is something only a judge would be able to answer. If you are asked for the money, tell landlord you will wait for a judge to answer it. (It's landlord who has to sue you. Not that you have to sue him.)

Comment

Thank you again

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Landlord opening my cafe
            Dee1007
            Good morning

My commercial landlord is opening my cafe when I'm not there without my consent, he has done this whilst I was on holiday and when I am closed. He is using my stock to sell for his own benefit and is treating me very unfairly. He is Also keeps telling me that he is going to...
            19-02-2018, 11:35 AM
          • Short Term Lease
            comm1985
            Tenant has exercised break clause for current lease (which is excluded from LTA 1954) and it is due to end in April.

Tenant has since stated they would like to remain for a further 4month term.

What happens if tenant remains in occupation, would this become a periodic tenancy...
            13-02-2018, 10:43 AM
          • Reply to Short Term Lease
            comm1985
            In terms of documenting this what would be required? is a simple letter outlining terms sufficient?

And what notice period would the tenant/landlord have to provide to quit?
            18-02-2018, 20:36 PM
          • Commercial buy to let mortgage
            GC2012
            Evening everyone,

I have just signed up here looking for some advice.

I have previously dabbled with property but on a buy/sell basis however in the next month or so I am looking to start a rental portfolio. The area I plan on buying is a town I know well, I have friends/family...
            26-12-2017, 23:41 PM
          • Reply to Commercial buy to let mortgage
            kmach
            I've contacted Charleston Financial Services and B2B Mortgages before and both were very helpful in giving advise and finding suitable lenders....
            16-02-2018, 23:11 PM
          • Law Society lease - "out of the Act"
            zwypl
            Is there any problem in granting a law society lease out of the act?

(after signing the statutory declaration by a solicitor)...
            07-02-2018, 17:10 PM
          • Reply to Law Society lease - "out of the Act"
            kmach
            I'm assuming the OP meant the 1954 Landlord and Tenant Act but the question needs to be clarified to receive proper response. My take on anything that involves a contract is to get a solicitor to make sure everything is done correctly. If you have any uncertainty on the wording of a document it's worth...
            16-02-2018, 23:03 PM
            davidjpowell
            My view. Contracted out and served break. Lease ends on break date. Tenant is then in under new agreement - 54 protection will then be an issue unless -

• where the term of the lease is for 6 months or less (unless the lease allows for an extension); or
            • where the tenant’s...
            16-02-2018, 21:05 PM
            comm1985
            *bump*

anyone able to offer any suggestions?...
            16-02-2018, 14:09 PM
          • Garage Rental Advice
            Rathbone
            I have rented a garage for the past 5 years and have been paying the same monthly amount by standing order. Last week I received a phone call asking me what I was going to do about the arrears on my account. When questioned I was informed that the rental amount had increased three times in the last...
            14-02-2018, 18:51 PM
          Working...
          X