Can a landlord make a tenant pay for extension regularisation costs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can a landlord make a tenant pay for extension regularisation costs?

My landlord has a commercial property with 3 floors. Ground floor is leased to us. The 1st floor has an extension which doesnt have building regulations. This extension has been in place for 10 years. We want regularisation of the extension. However stupidly my partner took lease out without survey and we have 50% responsibility for repair costs etc. Is it correct to assume that we will have to pay 50% of costs for any works relating to regularisation? Including possible costs relating to knocking it down?

thank you.

I don't think ll would have a leg to stand on if it came to court. Just don't pay.

Comment

Thank you for responding. That was my initial common sense thought but someone with legal background suggested that since its a full repair lease and when combined with the fact that we didnt do survey etc (therefore buyer beware) it makes us part liable for any possible costs as the unregulated works have an impact on the building ie structure etc. Since it would be like any other repair that we may be asked to contribute to.

Comment

I think this is something only a judge would be able to answer. If you are asked for the money, tell landlord you will wait for a judge to answer it. (It's landlord who has to sue you. Not that you have to sue him.)

Comment

Thank you again

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Rent review issue
            Charlie16
            I have a tenant on a lease with a five year term on a commercial property. The lease specified a rent review after 2,3 and 4 years. The lease also specified that the rent review should be determined by the RPI index and it specifies the mechanism for doing this. I duly calculated the rent review on...
            05-01-2019, 23:25 PM
          • Reply to Rent review issue
            desamax
            If they have assets get your solicitor on it straight away. A lease is a legal contract....
            20-04-2019, 23:07 PM
          • Landlord HVAC Repair Clause
            askelley
            Our company is a startup in Birmingham, AL in it's second year of business, though we are more than a year from making money. The landlord is a large corporation that owns very large amounts of premier commercial property.

We rented one of their properties in November 2018, fixed up the...
            15-04-2019, 19:08 PM
          • Reply to Landlord HVAC Repair Clause
            desamax
            The lease your company signed will determine your rights, are you in the USA ?
            20-04-2019, 22:55 PM
          • Reply to Rent review issue
            Charlie16
            Hi

Thanks to all those who previously posted. However, in the meantime the saga continues. In the period since the last reply the tenant has not paid any further rent and is now in the process of moving out and setting up a similar business elsewhere. They also had...
            19-04-2019, 14:12 PM
          • Fire Safety common parts above a commercial unit
            desamax
            Hi again

would my tenant be liable to contribute for the fire safety of the separate common areas of the upper residential flats, that has a separate entrance and only serves the flats.

our lease states .....

"we are not liable for any charges attributable...
            12-04-2019, 15:26 PM
          • Landlord selling & wants us out
            stosirhc1
            Hi.
            I can't seem to find the answers to my questions despite spending several hours trawling Google.

We current occupy a retail unit and have done for the last 4 years. When we moved in we didn't sign a lease, it was fairly informal, we just paid the deposit of 1 months rent along...
            06-01-2019, 10:36 AM
          • Reply to Landlord selling & wants us out
            Lawcruncher
            Your tenancy definitely comes within Part II of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954. The landlord can only end it on one of the statutory grounds after serving a section 25 notice. The grounds are explained here: https://www.netlawman.co.uk/ia/lease-quit-2

There is no reason why you should...
            05-04-2019, 09:34 AM
          • the Lawyer of next door freholder
            georgi
            Hellow I have recived below from a layer who repersent next door land lord .
            " we are aware that the extension to your s property appears to be unsafe and may also encroach on our client’s land and we have genuine concerns as to the same." My extentionis egale
            should I do it...
            04-04-2019, 13:28 PM
          • Tennant wants to split premises
            Jeff21
            I rent a commercial premises to a high street retailer. At the moment the retailer is enjoying a rent free period. They have asked if they can split the current premises to accommodate another retailer, which is part of their group. I was wondering if anyone is aware of potential issues with allowing...
            27-03-2019, 10:34 AM
          Working...
          X