Not fit for purpose

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not fit for purpose

I currently lease a commercial property and have done since May 2017. I signed my lease on a 2 year contract so it is not due to end until May 2019 however, the tenants in the flat above my property have been ridiculously noisy since moving in around July time and I am now loosing customers and receiving bad review because of the noise.

My landlord owns both properties so I have spoke to them about the issue and they have had a word with the tenants but the issue is still on going and I don’t want it effect my business any longer.

With the nature of my business, the atmosphere in the property must be a calm and relaxing one which at the moment it is the complete opposite.

As the property is not fit for purpose can I give this reason to end the lease early?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated as I have no idea what to do from here and very worried of my brand new business failing so early due to circumstances out if my control.

Did you state the purpose, and the requirements before letting?

Comment

Yes the landlord was aware of the specific business which I was letting it for. The property is used for a bridal boutique so you would expect a calm, relaxing atmosphere which is not what I am getting at the moment.

Comment

Well my daughter's wedding was a pretty raucous violent affair. Most interesting but not relaxing in the slightest.......

I guess it's whether it is within the usual range (say the 99% limits) of what you might expect for a flat above -- or something extraordinary. And even then I doubt you will have much luck ending the lease on this basis (but I know more about rental properties, commercial may be different, but I suspect not unless specified and quantified in a contract)

Comment

Is there any chance of landlord evicting tenant above and letting to you? Then you get to keep your bridal shop, and have control over noise from upstairs, because there will be none when you are in the shop.

Comment

As much as I would love to have the space upstairs, I really don’t need it so can’t justify paying for it.

I also worry about waiting for any sort of eviction as this could take months so would carry on effecting my business for months. It is getting to be a busy time for me too so this is why I feel I need to do something quickly before I get a reputation for have an unpleasant atmosphere in my boutique.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Landlord opening my cafe
              Dee1007
              Good morning

My commercial landlord is opening my cafe when I'm not there without my consent, he has done this whilst I was on holiday and when I am closed. He is using my stock to sell for his own benefit and is treating me very unfairly. He is Also keeps telling me that he is going to...
              19-02-2018, 11:35 AM
            • Short Term Lease
              comm1985
              Tenant has exercised break clause for current lease (which is excluded from LTA 1954) and it is due to end in April.

Tenant has since stated they would like to remain for a further 4month term.

What happens if tenant remains in occupation, would this become a periodic tenancy...
              13-02-2018, 10:43 AM
            • Reply to Short Term Lease
              comm1985
              In terms of documenting this what would be required? is a simple letter outlining terms sufficient?

And what notice period would the tenant/landlord have to provide to quit?
              18-02-2018, 20:36 PM
            • Commercial buy to let mortgage
              GC2012
              Evening everyone,

I have just signed up here looking for some advice.

I have previously dabbled with property but on a buy/sell basis however in the next month or so I am looking to start a rental portfolio. The area I plan on buying is a town I know well, I have friends/family...
              26-12-2017, 23:41 PM
            • Reply to Commercial buy to let mortgage
              kmach
              I've contacted Charleston Financial Services and B2B Mortgages before and both were very helpful in giving advise and finding suitable lenders....
              16-02-2018, 23:11 PM
            • Law Society lease - "out of the Act"
              zwypl
              Is there any problem in granting a law society lease out of the act?

(after signing the statutory declaration by a solicitor)...
              07-02-2018, 17:10 PM
            • Reply to Law Society lease - "out of the Act"
              kmach
              I'm assuming the OP meant the 1954 Landlord and Tenant Act but the question needs to be clarified to receive proper response. My take on anything that involves a contract is to get a solicitor to make sure everything is done correctly. If you have any uncertainty on the wording of a document it's worth...
              16-02-2018, 23:03 PM
              davidjpowell
              My view. Contracted out and served break. Lease ends on break date. Tenant is then in under new agreement - 54 protection will then be an issue unless -

• where the term of the lease is for 6 months or less (unless the lease allows for an extension); or
              • where the tenant’s...
              16-02-2018, 21:05 PM
              comm1985
              *bump*

anyone able to offer any suggestions?...
              16-02-2018, 14:09 PM
            • Garage Rental Advice
              Rathbone
              I have rented a garage for the past 5 years and have been paying the same monthly amount by standing order. Last week I received a phone call asking me what I was going to do about the arrears on my account. When questioned I was informed that the rental amount had increased three times in the last...
              14-02-2018, 18:51 PM
            Working...
            X