Commercial tenancy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Commercial tenancy

Hello, I have been renting a warehouse unit from my landlord for 10 years. It is a tenancy at will without a formal contract. We have a verbal agreement of a 3-month notice period on either side. I pay rent on time every month. The landlord told me today that the building has been condemned by the council and I have one month to move out. I have contacted the council and they say the building has definately not been condemned. I think the landlord is trying to get me out quickly so that he can sell the site to a developer with vacant possession. Do I have any rights in this situation please?

Not so much "rights" beyond your contract which you can't prove.

Comment

Given the circumstances (no written agreement etc) the best that you could hope for would be an extension of time to leave. I would not bother challenging the Landlord and telling him that you know he was telling you porkies about the council condemning the unit. This would only put him on the defensive, in my opinion. A simple chat/email acknowledging that your licence to occupy is being revoked but asking for more time to leave would be the best way to tackle this.

Comment

There are some startling inaccuracies in the above advice.

As your tenancy is ten years old and not in writing it cannot be contracted out of the 1954 act (bear with me). This gives statutory protection to business tenants.

To evict you the Landlord must serve a Section 25 notice giving you between 6 and 12 months notice. You are entitled to challenge that notice on a number of grounds. Note - time limits exist - if you do receive a notice take advice immediately.

Clearly this contradicts with your gentleman's agreement. Your LL has obviously forgotten all about that... I'd be tempted to use the existence of the formal procedure to persuade landlord to move to 3 months.

Take advice from an experienced Landlord & Tenant solicitor or Surveyor....

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X