What 'rights' does a grazing tenant acquire by erecting a fence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What 'rights' does a grazing tenant acquire by erecting a fence

I bought a piece of land from a ex-property developer who now runs a livery stable. A condition of the sale was that he retained ownership of the professionally constructed riding ring which lies within the field sold ( i.e. it was excluded from the sale) and also that he retained the grazing for his grass livery business until I have another use for the land. After avoiding several 'dodgy' schemes we now have an annual signed written grazing licence which covers some ten & a half months a year and he is 'evicted' for the other six weeks or so. Early last year an external contractor trimming back the overgrown hedges ( at my instruction and expense) rather overdid it and in some places removed the hedge/fencing boundary to the field completely and my tenant asked for approval to put up a fence as he is responsible for containment of the livestock. Due to previous problems with electric fences and neighbourhood kids AND the newly lost boundary fence he stated it would be substantial wooden posts rather than just the usual plastic ones and he has in fact employed a contractor to put in lines of four inch circular wooden posts on which he has put electric fencing. This was done late last year & I was kept informed when he did it. It is only after an extended absence the thought has dawned - have I already given him any rights over use / occupation / tenancy etc. ; and if not, can he / will he acquire any rights if I allow the fence to remain; and if so what can I do to prevent him accruing these rights whilst allowing the fence to remain

Afternoon

What does your grazing licence say about responsibility for fencing?

Provided you licence agreement is up to date, there are probably two possibilities
    1) You have allowed him to put up his fence. When you decide to be in occupation of the land, he has to remove his fence, or you can buy it from him at a suitably depreciated cost.
    2) As the fence has been attached to the land, it has become part of your ownership and is now yours.

I recommend deciding now which line you want to take so it doesn't become a problem later on.

I think it is unlikely you have given him any additional use/occupation/tenancy and unlikely he will acquire them if the fence stays. But it's better to sort it out now

Comment

If it was a tenancy, not a licence, his fence would surely be classed as tenants improvements and at the end of the tenancy if the landlord gave a notice to quit they would have to pay compensation for improvements. As your licence (grazing or otherwise) is due to expire he should remove his animals and fence, purely because Licences dont have to be renewed, whereas Leases do.
      Your licence agreement is in danger of becoming a "protected tenancy" I would seek legal advice.

Comment

Grazing licences are not full tenancies and only allow someone on your land rather than giving them exclusive use of your land, hence the 'eviction'. However as always happens there are ways around things (I know a bit about it because of a neighbour's experience). This is a useful article http://www.countrylife.co.uk/propert...-licences-9050

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysteve View Post
          Due to previous problems with electric fences and neighbourhood kids
          When I was a (primary-school) lad back in the 60s we used to see who could hold on to the electric fence the longest

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• What is and is not sub-letting
            Redgull
            I have rented an area of grazing land for well over 25 years. Had my own horses on it up until the last 7-10 yrs but due to health problems I am having to wait until I semi-retire/retire when I have more time to take things a little more leisurely and can then hopefully have a horse again.
            I...
            20-06-2017, 21:59 PM
          • What 'rights' does a grazing tenant acquire by erecting a fence
            sunnysteve
            I bought a piece of land from a ex-property developer who now runs a livery stable. A condition of the sale was that he retained ownership of the professionally constructed riding ring which lies within the field sold ( i.e. it was excluded from the sale) and also that he retained the grazing for...
            28-03-2017, 12:53 PM
          • Reply to What 'rights' does a grazing tenant acquire by erecting a fence
            MdeB
            When I was a (primary-school) lad back in the 60s we used to see who could hold on to the electric fence the longest ...
            09-05-2017, 12:29 PM
            pebblepebble
            Grazing licences are not full tenancies and only allow someone on your land rather than giving them exclusive use of your land, hence the 'eviction'. However as always happens there are ways around things (I know a bit about it because of a neighbour's experience). This is a useful article www.co...
            09-05-2017, 07:12 AM
            Never what it seems
            If it was a tenancy, not a licence, his fence would surely be classed as tenants improvements and at the end of the tenancy if the landlord gave a notice to quit they would have to pay compensation for improvements. As your licence (grazing or otherwise) is due to expire he should remove his animals...
            09-05-2017, 06:34 AM
            JennyWren1
            Afternoon

What does your grazing licence say about responsibility for fencing?

Provided you licence agreement is up to date, there are probably two possibilities
            1) You have allowed him to put up his fence. When you decide to be in occupation of the land, he has to remove...
            30-03-2017, 13:42 PM
          • Livery Yard and grazing what rights do we have as liveries
            Debrachall
            Please can someone help and advise us.... For the past 3 years I have been renting a stables on a yard with grazing there are 6 stables and 5 horses on there 1 of which belongs to the owners sister. I have never met the actual owner, her brother who is an ex councillor. 2 years ago the owners sister...
            20-02-2017, 08:56 AM
          • Reply to Livery Yard and grazing what rights do we have as liveries
            Never what it seems
            Having observed a few landowners who have sold their yards over the years it rarely turns out well for their tenants. on one yard that I know of the liveries an a saturday were told that the place was sold and they had to be off the place by sunday night. It also appears that with the owners sister...
            26-02-2017, 11:24 AM
            JennyWren1
            Where I am the arrangements are usually 1) Business tenancy where a business is being run, e.g. riding school 2) Farm Business Tenancy - usually where the equestrian enterprise has grown out of a farm or includes lots of land and 3) Licence arrangement.

The licence is the most common by...
            21-02-2017, 12:57 PM
            Lawcruncher
            On re-reading the first post I think I may have misinterpreted the arrangement. I was under the impression that Debrachall was operating a livery business, but it seems that she may only have been stabling her own horses. Perhaps she can confirm the position.
            21-02-2017, 12:47 PM
          Working...
          X