Neighbours want healthy tree removed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neighbours want healthy tree removed

My partner rents a flat from a private housing association, he has been there over 10 years. The neighbours behind him have just built a massive extension and have approached the Housing association requesting that the tall ever green tree growing in his garden be cut down. I imagine it now blocks out natural light into their extended property, and they are, I imagine, willing to pay for it with an incentive bonus.

It is a beautiful and healthy tree and gives privacy into his garden and flat and he is opposed to this action. The only access is through his flat meaning noise and mess.

What rights does he have to contest it?

Any advice would be greatly received!

Have the association allowed access-surely the friend can prevent tree surgeons using his flat for access?

Comment

I don't see that the neighbours have any case at all.

If it's a healthy tree there is no need to cut it down.

The neighbours may try try to claim a 'right to light' or that the roots are damaging their property, but if its a new extension then they have no real case at all.

They knew the tree was there and would restrict light before they built their extension, so unless its suddenly grown they have no case there.
      That would be a case of negotation/payment to come to a compromise on the height of the tree.

And the same applies to root damage, the new build foundations would have chopped through any existing roots and it takes a long time for new roots to grow to a possible damaging extent.

Comment

Association may take view that cheaper to allow neighbour to finance work than fund themselves-most healthy trees in garden eventually need attention.

Comment

What does the tenancy agreement say about gardening and the condition of same?

Comment

Try and get a TPO on it, otherwise he's no rights at all

Comment

Just what I was going to say, attempt to get a Tree Preservation Order.

Comment

Why would cash-srapped coucils bother to visit and make an order when they need to focus on things that benefit the community and not some precious individual who is upset with neighbours?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X