How to get rid of a horses on rented land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to get rid of a horses on rented land

Good morning just looking for some help and guidance please.
    I rent 3 very large fields . my niece came to me asking if she could bring 3 horses said yes few weeks ago she assaulted me police were involved (march) the police said dont take any rent off her as she may be inclined to move I gave her 14 days to move that ended 10 March
    I know it's not easy to find some were I have given her till end of month
    but she is so aggressive my
    mediator who is my daughter has got so fed of the threats she has said no more .
    The niece has blocked everyone shes even changed lock on field gate .I have horses in field I cant see to proplery because her horses are a total pain.
    Bailiff wants a small fortune to put a notice up I'm at my whits end. Any advise please
    Theres no written agreement in place just verbal no rent has been collected or been offered just need her gone

These aren't normal times and I'd imagine it would be next to impossible to find somewhere else to keep them and move them right now.

When it is possible I'd suggest to your niece that if she doesn't move them by a date, the horses will be put down and disposed of.

DEFRA will be able to tell you who "does" livestock in your area (some vets won't put down healthy animals, so it will be a man with a gun) and it costs about £75 per dead animal to have them taken away and incinerated.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Are you serious jpkeates ?

These are living beings you're talking about, not trash to be "disposed of".

Comment

jpkeates if only it were 75 quid. A man with a gun charges 210 quid plus vat for shooting and cremation in the south east. That was January this year. You are also on very dodgy ground suggesting criminal damage is an acceptable solution. There is grazing still being advertised and livery yards still taking new business so the person involved should be able to find somewhere else if they are looking. Business meetings between persons where it is unavoidable are allowed under the coronavirus act. It would be easier if they were paying rent.

To op is it not possible to use an electric fence to fence her horses off from yours to enable you to do yours. As for her putting a lock on your gate, you need access to your horses for the farrier and vet and to get feed and hay into the property. I would under these circumstances just bolt crop it off. Are you a member of bhs because they have a free helpline and are very helpful with this type of issue. It's difficult to advise without speaking as most remedies would just escalate the situation. The RSPCA may also be able to advise. I know she's an adult but is it worth talking to her parents?

Comment

Originally posted by HazeltonLane View Post
          Are you serious jpkeates ?

These are living beings you're talking about, not trash to be "disposed of".
          And hopefully the niece feels the same way.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Perhaps as you have not received any rent you have not created a tenancy.
            Its only verbal that you allowed her to move her horses on to your land. perhaps it was on the understanding that she would pay you rent.
            I would now say that the rent you want for grazing is now £50 a week per horse. And you will know her address.
            It is your choice as to what rent you charge.
            OK if you charge her rent and she pays it a tenancy has been created, but normally people with horses dont get a lease and anyone owning fields can just give 1 weeks notice. And she certainly wont want to pay £150 a week.
            I would also not only cut her lock off but I would entirely remove the gate.
            When I ran an equestrian centre if I had a tenant who di not pay the rent I would wait until they had gone out riding and I would remove the stable door and empty the tack room and put all the possessions outside in a pile.
            Getting rent money from horse owners has been one of the most difficult things I have ever had to deal with.
            Also I once had a tenant who owed me £200 I sent notice that unless the rent was paid within 7 days I would sell the horse. Which I did.
            Take photographs of the horse ready to put on eBay or other sites.
            In my are there are a collection of people who buy and sell horses. perhaps they could be interested in them

Comment

Oh dear. And when you have caused an accident by being negligent in removing the gate and allowing the horses to escape on to the road and you are sued, what will you do then? There are some really stupid posts going on at the moment. Let's just keep to the legal stuff can we?

Comment

Unfortunately after 30 yeas of dealing with horse people I find that doing the Legal Stuff dosent work unless you are really wealthy and can afford the £200 an hour that a solicitor charges and even if a solicitors letter was sent out they would ignore it. This lady has really dropped herself in it, I do know of instances where things like this have happened before, a farmer friend obtained a Restraining Order which is expensive. Someone else found a load of horses on their field and one night a gate was opened and the horses must have been chased onto the main road for the Police to round up. A local equestrian yard was given the job of collecting them and when the horse owner was found they were charged a fortune to release them..
                Many horse people do horses for fun and even though this lady rents 3 fields she is probably not doing it for profit.
                I have had people whose horses are diseased and even had a virus (strangles) and they will refuse to go.

Comment

I realise that I’m very late to the party here- sorry. A few years ago there was a situation locally where a person kept a horse informally on a paddock owned by a farmer, and the paddock included a small stable. The relationship between the two people broke down for whatever reason, but the horse owner ignored all attempts over several months by the farmer to move them on. Eventually the farmer had really had enough and ploughed the field overnight so there was nowhere to let the horse out onto. They moved that day. I realise that this may not work for the OP however; an unrestrained horse in a ploughed field may break its leg, for example, but it may provide food for thought.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Renting a field with no contract..
                    by k95
                    Hiya everyone looking into renting a field. Told them I would take it and asked if they had a contract for me to sign, they told me they don't bother with contracts they just expect that if I decided to leave I would leave it in the same condition I found it.

Are there any overall laws...
                    24-06-2019, 17:43 PM
                  • Reply to Renting a field with no contract..
                    by Lizbeth
                    By the way, advice to townies - never put your hard-saved capital into buying fields - (especially if you rent them out on grass lets!)

The yield is derisory! On a capital purchase of £50k I get £500 pa in rent. (But, hey, I get to own a field all of my own - I'm a landowner, hurrah!)
                    23-05-2020, 18:47 PM
                  • Reply to Renting a field with no contract..
                    by Lizbeth
                    Not sure if this helps, but I let out a field as a summer grass let - I use the local 'monopoly' auctioneer/land agent to draw up the lease and collect the rent for me - it costs me 10% of the rental income, but its worth it. The logic is that the auctioneer/land agent basically has a local monopoly...
                    23-05-2020, 18:42 PM
                  • Reply to How to get rid of a horses on rented land
                    by Slackjawedyokel
                    I realise that I’m very late to the party here- sorry. A few years ago there was a situation locally where a person kept a horse informally on a paddock owned by a farmer, and the paddock included a small stable. The relationship between the two people broke down for whatever reason, but the horse...
                    18-05-2020, 14:57 PM
                  • How to get rid of a horses on rented land
                    by Lottie@2
                    Good morning just looking for some help and guidance please.
                    I rent 3 very large fields . my niece came to me asking if she could bring 3 horses said yes few weeks ago she assaulted me police were involved (march) the police said dont take any rent off her as she may be inclined to move I gave...
                    27-03-2020, 10:22 AM
                    by Always Problems
                    Unfortunately after 30 yeas of dealing with horse people I find that doing the Legal Stuff dosent work unless you are really wealthy and can afford the £200 an hour that a solicitor charges and even if a solicitors letter was sent out they would ignore it. This lady has really dropped herself in it,...
                    07-04-2020, 12:24 PM
                    by Jon66
                    Oh dear. And when you have caused an accident by being negligent in removing the gate and allowing the horses to escape on to the road and you are sued, what will you do then? There are some really stupid posts going on at the moment. Let's just keep to the legal stuff can we?
                    05-04-2020, 23:58 PM
                    by Always Problems
                    Perhaps as you have not received any rent you have not created a tenancy.
                    Its only verbal that you allowed her to move her horses on to your land. perhaps it was on the understanding that she would pay you rent.
                    I would now say that the rent you want for grazing is now £50 a week per horse....
                    05-04-2020, 14:12 PM
                    by jpkeates
                    And hopefully the niece feels the same way....
                    04-04-2020, 07:39 AM
                    by Jon66
                    jpkeates if only it were 75 quid. A man with a gun charges 210 quid plus vat for shooting and cremation in the south east. That was January this year. You are also on very dodgy ground suggesting criminal damage is an acceptable solution. There is grazing still being advertised and livery yards still...
                    04-04-2020, 00:12 AM
                  Working...
                  X