Tenancy For Life ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenancy For Life ?

I have been renting some Agricultural Land land since 1984 off a Public Body, my lease ran out a few years ago and I have carried on paying the rent.
    They have a "New" Managing Agent, and on their "Rent Invoice" they state Without Prejudice to Expiry 30/06/1994.

I believe the Landlord does not have a copy of the lease and neither have I.

Am I correct in that I believe I have a Lifetime Lease and the dating on the Rent Invoice acknowledges the Lease pre-dates later Landlord & Tenant legislation.

You do not have a "lifetime lease" but probably a lease which it is difficult for the landlord to end during your lifetime. If, as is likely to be the case, you have a tenancy under the Agricultural Holdings Act 1986, it did not end when the fixed term expired but continued under the Act. I cannot see there is any point in the rent invoice being marked "Without Prejudice to Expiry 30/06/1994" but I am no expert on agricultural tenancies.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Renting a field with no contract..
      k95
      Hiya everyone looking into renting a field. Told them I would take it and asked if they had a contract for me to sign, they told me they don't bother with contracts they just expect that if I decided to leave I would leave it in the same condition I found it.

Are there any overall laws...
      24-06-2019, 17:43 PM
    • Reply to Renting a field with no contract..
      Lawcruncher
      We need some more detail, please. Do you have a written agreement? What use do you put the land?
      09-08-2019, 19:11 PM
      Toni87max
      I'm in need of desperate help. Been renting field for 6 years. Rent paid at first then did work for landowner for rent payments. Verbal. Although I have a txt saying I work for rent payments. Just been kicked off with few days notice. Threatening solicitors letters received and now saying I havent paid...
      09-08-2019, 11:29 AM
      Lawcruncher
      It depends on (a) whether the arrangement is a licence or a tenancy and (b) if it is tenancy, what you are going to use the land for.

Whether an arrangement is a licence or a tenancy depends on a number of factors, but the significant one here is whether the occupier has de facto exclusive...
      25-06-2019, 10:33 AM
      leaseholder64
      This may be a licence, nut it is not a bare one; there is also a contract. The terms of the contract include the rent and the condition on return.

Actually, I think it is a lease, not a licence, as I presume there is exclusive use.

(The term "bare licence" seems...
      25-06-2019, 09:52 AM
      Jon66
      You will have a bare license so notice periods would be as agreed. If no notice periods have been agreed, then if you pay your rent monthly, a months notice is sufficient. It is normal in my neck of the woods that grazing is by verbal agreement and in 30 years i have only ever come across one written...
      25-06-2019, 00:08 AM
    • Tenancy For Life ?
      Another Fine Mess
      I have been renting some Agricultural Land land since 1984 off a Public Body, my lease ran out a few years ago and I have carried on paying the rent.
      They have a "New" Managing Agent, and on their "Rent Invoice" they state Without Prejudice to Expiry 30/06/1994.
      17-03-2019, 12:13 PM
    • Reply to Tenancy For Life ?
      Lawcruncher
      You do not have a "lifetime lease" but probably a lease which it is difficult for the landlord to end during your lifetime. If, as is likely to be the case, you have a tenancy under the Agricultural Holdings Act 1986, it did not end when the fixed term expired but continued under the Act....
      17-03-2019, 17:45 PM
    • Dealing with nosey people adverse posession
      Avoriaz123
      Hi guys and merry christmas to you all..

my topic is how to deal with nosey people during adverse occupation! To make it short i have found a plot that had been vacant abandoned for years and years used as a tipping ground,full of bracken and unloved, i have made all the checks its unregistered...
      27-12-2018, 11:00 AM
    • Reply to Dealing with nosey people adverse posession
      nukecad
      I would assume that you eventually plan to build on this plot, or sell it to a builder?

You need to think carefully about how establishing use, as say an orchard, might affect any future planning application for residential use.

You also need to think about your relationship...
      29-12-2018, 12:57 PM
    Working...
    X