Tenancy For Life ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenancy For Life ?

I have been renting some Agricultural Land land since 1984 off a Public Body, my lease ran out a few years ago and I have carried on paying the rent.
    They have a "New" Managing Agent, and on their "Rent Invoice" they state Without Prejudice to Expiry 30/06/1994.

I believe the Landlord does not have a copy of the lease and neither have I.

Am I correct in that I believe I have a Lifetime Lease and the dating on the Rent Invoice acknowledges the Lease pre-dates later Landlord & Tenant legislation.

You do not have a "lifetime lease" but probably a lease which it is difficult for the landlord to end during your lifetime. If, as is likely to be the case, you have a tenancy under the Agricultural Holdings Act 1986, it did not end when the fixed term expired but continued under the Act. I cannot see there is any point in the rent invoice being marked "Without Prejudice to Expiry 30/06/1994" but I am no expert on agricultural tenancies.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Renting a field with no contract..
      k95
      Hiya everyone looking into renting a field. Told them I would take it and asked if they had a contract for me to sign, they told me they don't bother with contracts they just expect that if I decided to leave I would leave it in the same condition I found it.

Are there any overall laws...
      24-06-2019, 17:43 PM
    • Reply to Renting a field with no contract..
      Always Problems
      My local council gives a 364 day grazing licence and insists they are off on day 365. It gives the council the opportunity not to renew the licence again....
      28-08-2019, 17:24 PM
      Karen
      I rent a field to horse owners under a grazing licence drawn up by a land agent, one year with a break day. I was told it is easier to ask them not to renew after the year that way
      22-08-2019, 15:34 PM
      Lawcruncher
      We need some more detail, please. Do you have a written agreement? What use do you put the land?
      09-08-2019, 19:11 PM
      Toni87max
      I'm in need of desperate help. Been renting field for 6 years. Rent paid at first then did work for landowner for rent payments. Verbal. Although I have a txt saying I work for rent payments. Just been kicked off with few days notice. Threatening solicitors letters received and now saying I havent paid...
      09-08-2019, 11:29 AM
      Lawcruncher
      It depends on (a) whether the arrangement is a licence or a tenancy and (b) if it is tenancy, what you are going to use the land for.

Whether an arrangement is a licence or a tenancy depends on a number of factors, but the significant one here is whether the occupier has de facto exclusive...
      25-06-2019, 10:33 AM
      leaseholder64
      This may be a licence, nut it is not a bare one; there is also a contract. The terms of the contract include the rent and the condition on return.

Actually, I think it is a lease, not a licence, as I presume there is exclusive use.

(The term "bare licence" seems...
      25-06-2019, 09:52 AM
      Jon66
      You will have a bare license so notice periods would be as agreed. If no notice periods have been agreed, then if you pay your rent monthly, a months notice is sufficient. It is normal in my neck of the woods that grazing is by verbal agreement and in 30 years i have only ever come across one written...
      25-06-2019, 00:08 AM
    • Tenancy For Life ?
      Another Fine Mess
      I have been renting some Agricultural Land land since 1984 off a Public Body, my lease ran out a few years ago and I have carried on paying the rent.
      They have a "New" Managing Agent, and on their "Rent Invoice" they state Without Prejudice to Expiry 30/06/1994.
      17-03-2019, 12:13 PM
    • Reply to Tenancy For Life ?
      Lawcruncher
      You do not have a "lifetime lease" but probably a lease which it is difficult for the landlord to end during your lifetime. If, as is likely to be the case, you have a tenancy under the Agricultural Holdings Act 1986, it did not end when the fixed term expired but continued under the Act....
      17-03-2019, 17:45 PM
    Working...
    X